Wednesday, May 5, 2010

THUNDERSTRUCK!

I have always been an avid fan of storms. Living in the Pacific Northwest, we didn't get them as often as I would have liked. Sure, we got the rain, but hardly ever the booming and flashing accompaniments.

One time I was at the beach at night when a storm came, and it was AWESOME. The waves were pounding the shore as the thunder was pounding the sky, and the lightning was showing off.

So I move to Minnesota and my first storm here was like "WHOAH!!!" I was quite impressed.

Storms happen more often here than in WA (along with tornadoes - EEEK!). Rain doesn't happen here anywhere near as much. It's strange to me that a lot of the storms here do not include rain.

There was one storm where my husband and I and his relatives were driving home from a trip out of town. This particular storm DID have rain to go along with the flashiness and noisiness of the sky. The windshield wipers could hardly keep up.

A few months ago, I awoke at about 4 am to what sounded like an infinite piece of sheet metal, being shook across the skies. This thunder was a near-constant rumbling, it was really cool and lasted for several hours. It was accompanied by freakishly bright flashes of lightning.

My cat runs and hides under the bed when she hears the thunder. :) Poor baby.

2 comments:

  1. I love thunder and lightning! We get some pretty good storms down here, but nothing compared to Texas. I hated everything about the state except the amazing storms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY, my first comment! Yeah, storms are awesome... didn't realize what I had been missing until I moved here.

    ReplyDelete